The Seven Types of Muda
"Muda" is a term in lean manufacturing which means waste. The
seven types of muda are:
- Manufacturing an item before it is required
- Work in process on the plant floor
- Repair/rejects (defects)
- Quality defects resulting in rework or scrap
- Waste related to bending, stretching, walking, lifting and
- Using complicated machinery where simpler, smaller tools would
be sufficient leading to more flexibility and reduced costs.
Using a 10lb sledge hammer to crack a nut.
- Whenever goods are not moving waste is happening
- Transporting a product between processes adds no value to the